There may be instances where personal information is disclosed inappropriately. In response, the various pieces of legislation have complaint mechanisms for people to complain and seek rectification. Under PIPEDA, you can file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner, who will investigate the complaint. The Privacy Commissioner has several dispute resolution mechanisms that he can utilize to resolve complaints, including mediation and conciliation. If you are unsatisfied with the decision of the Commissioner, you can appeal to courts, which have the power to order an organization to correct its practices, publish a notice of any action taken and even award compensatory damages. The PA and FOIPP have similar complaint procedures for improper disclosure.